Question: What do we need to do to take a car abroad ?

Answer: Firstly, whilst your car insurance fully covers you for third party risks in other European Union countries, it is advisable to have fully comprehensive car insurance. Obtain a Green Card from your insurance company to extend your comprehensive cover to continental Europe.

Secondly we strongly recommend you take out Green Flag’s European motoring breakdown assistance insurance. This covers expenses you may incur as a result of a breakdown, accident, fire or theft resulting in the insured vehicle being immobilised or dangerous to drive and is backed by a 24-hour service.

Please familiarise yourself with the legal requirement for relevant countries, for example carrying a warning triangle, yellow flash jacket, spare set of bulbs etc. Consider getting your car serviced before your holiday.

In addition to this please also ensure that you take all car documentation including your vehicle registration document.

Connect with us

Tell your family & friends